Monday 15 August 2011

Runner Bean Tomato Sauce and Quick Bread

A glut of runner beans in the garden this week so I picked lots today and made a quick tomato sauce. I think we will eat this bowlful cold with feta cheese crumbled over the top and salad and crusty bread for dinner tonight.

I am experimenting with quick bread recipes to find one I can use in my baking classes that doesn't take hours to make! Just waiting for this loaf to cool before tasting.


Runner Bean Tomato Sauce Recipe.

My husband's family are Turkish Cypriot and this is inspired by a recipe his mum often cooks as a side dish with rice or bulgur wheat and stuffed aubergines. It also freezes really well.

Ingredients

lots of runner beans (I didn't weigh mine but had about 25 pods) 
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp cider vinegar / white wine vinegar
1 tsp caster sugar
1 heaped tsp of sweet paprika
1 can of tinned plum tomatoes 
salt & pepper to season
olive oil for shallow frying

Method

1) Finely chop the onion and garlic and shallow fry in the olive oil until soft.
2) Add the vinegar and simmer briefly.
3) Wash and chop the beans into inch long pieces and add to the pan followed by all the remaining ingredients. 
4) Give it a good mix then put a lid on and simmer gently for around 25 minutes stirring occasionally.






No comments:

Post a Comment